THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, October 23, 2008

I give THANKS....from our oldest sent to asklance

Lance,

Here is my story about what/why I give thanks.

It was about April 1985 when my mom and I moved to the Mesquite Nevada area, as mom says we were heartbroken and lost since the passing of her father (my grandfather) in November 84. We had done alot of moving around since grandpa's death so we decided it was best to stay put and work through our pain.

So I started school, mind you I was 14 at the time, mom found a job and we started to piece our lives together again. I think it was in summer that mom met a man by the name of Tim Shaner and began dating. Never having my real father in my life since mom and him divorced when I was 1; I was not too accustomed to sharing my mom with another person. Don't get me wrong mom dated before she met Tim but I guess there was something different about him that made me protective of her.

It was sometime in the fall when we moved in with Tim and his son Cajon. This was totally new to me and I didn't want any part of it; so I rebelled alot!!! Tim was always loving and very kind to both my mother and I so I had no right to distrust this man. They had to make a trip to Las Vegas the following April and while there Dad said they should make it right and get married; so they did. Eventually Tim asked that we call a truce and compromise with one another for my mothers sake. This was one of many many lessons I have learned from the man I now call my DAD!!!

Yes I said DAD; you see he never gave up on me. He showed me what it is like to have a Dad that loves you unconditionally no matter my mistakes. Dad loved all us kids unconditionally!!! My brother Cajon was diagnosed with some mental problems and had addiction problems too but that didn't change how he loved his son. And when I got in trouble at school for missing too many days he was there to talk to the Vice Principle asking to let me continue the rest of the year.

During this time God blessed my Dad and mom with a beautiful baby girl. They named her Tamra Rochelle Shaner and they raised her together to be the most beautiful person inside and out. The strength this woman of 21 years has is one of a person way beyond her years.

Sometime after my sister was born my mom was diagnosed with sarcoidosis. This can affect any part of your body but for her it affected her lungs making it difficult to breath. Mom has lived and continues to live with this disease and other health problems. And you know my dad never once thought I can't do this, I can't/don't want this responsibility. We stayed a family and he stayed by mom's side through all these years of ups/downs of health problems, hospitalizations, and mounting medical bills.

In a short period of time I learned what it meant to be a Daddy's girl. I even asked him to give me away the first time I got married. And when I divorced a year later and my Ex was calling asking Dad to talk some sense into me; he said she is my daughter and I stand by her decisions.

Now I have been married for 16+ years to my wonderful husband Gary with 2 beautiful girls Melissa (15) and Erin (13). We live in Indiana and my dad and mom still live in Mesquite Nevada, so you see this is quite a distance but we email, talk, text and visit in the summers. I am very proud to call this man my DAD and for my children to have the best Grandfather and young girls could ever dream of. He would give you the shirt off his back literally if he knew it would help you and always told me that if I ever needed/wanted to come home the door was always open. He lets Melissa do crazy wacky unthinkable things to his hair and even lets her take pictures of it LOL!!! That is awesome.

Cajon, a son and brother passed on in May 05. This was hard on the whole family, but I believe it was very hard for my dad as Cajon was the last one of his first family to pass on to heaven. So now all his children with his first wife Pam look down on Dad and watch him with the loving eyes that he gave to them when they were here with us.

This man, a Dad, husband, friend, neighbor has just been told he has cancer. We as of Oct. 23 are still awaiting some results of tests they have done to find out what kind of cancer and the treatments he may be involved in. And although this saddens me alot!!!!! I am very thankful that I have this man to call my dad and all the lessons of life I have learned from him. Love conquers all, love never leaves, and when life gets tough we stick together and pull our boot straps up and walk together.

So I give thanks for Tim Shaner my dad! And I can't forget my mom, sister and all my family.

Sincerely,

Charlene Shales

No comments: